Does anyone else miss pizza when on a “diet”? I know I sure as hell do! I prefer the super-thin-and-crispy bases, but my hubby loves a deep-pan. There’s something very comforting about tucking into a slice of hot, bready, cheesiness, loaded with your favourite toppings, is there? But they’re so loaded with syns, they feel like they have to be off the menu, right?
It’s easy to make a syn-free pizza, and it doesn’t take long either! It’s the thin and crispy kind, but it’s good, and it really hits the spot when everyone around you is having pizza – it helps you to not feel deprived, which can mean all the difference between staying on track or going wildly off the rails.
F = Free food (eat as much as you like)
S = Speed food (these should make up at least a third of your meal)
P = Protein free food (eat as much of these as you like!)
HEa = Healthy Extra A (a daily allowance of dairy produce)
HEb = Healthy Extra B (a daily allowance of a product with fibre)
# = a number denotes roughly how many syns are in foods used
- 1 x Weight Watchers Love Fibre Wrap or BFree Foods Multigrain Wrap, Wheat & Gluten Free (HEb) *
- Cheese (HEa)
- Tomato puree (F)
- Ham / bacon / chicken / other free meat – optional (P)
- Speed and free vegetables of your choice – optional (S/F)
- Italian herbs – optional (F)
- If you like your base crispy, leave your wrap out of the packet for a day or two, or you can lightly toast it before you start.
- Spread tomato puree on the wrap.
- Add your chosen toppings and cheese.
- Pop it under the grill on a low heat till the cheese melts.
- Tuck in!
I topped mine with grilled chicken, red onion, mushrooms and Italian herbs, and used Low Low cheese because you can use a whopping 40g, which is plenty to top your pizza. It was delicious, if I say so myself! I felt like I’d had a real treat, and my base was lovely and crispy, just how I like it (if you like a softer base, just use a fresh wrap). I’ll definitely be having this again, probably on a very regular basis, as my hubby and boys like to have pizza on a Friday night – now I can join them again and not over-indulge – hurrah!
* Make sure you use one of the wraps that can be counted as your HEb choice for the day. I only know of these two (they’re the only ones that came up in my search) but if I come across more I’ll list them when I find out!