I don’t think there’s anything quite as comforting as French toast, whether for breakfast, brunch, supper, or just a snack any time, and surprisingly enough, it’s easy enough to make this so Slimming World friendly that it will cost you not a single syn! How great is that? Not only that, it can be made savoury or sweet to suit your mood – even better!
F = Free food (eat as much as you like)
S = Speed food (these should make up at least a third of your meal)
P = Protein free food (eat as much of these as you like!)
HEa = Healthy Extra A (a daily allowance of dairy produce)
HEb = Healthy Extra B (a daily allowance of a product with fibre)
# = a number denotes roughly how many syns are in foods used
serves 1 – syn-free
- 2 slices wholemeal bread from a 400g loaf (HEB)
- 1 large egg (P)
- splash skimmed milk (optional) (HEA)
- herbs, spices, salt, pepper, sweetener (optional) (F)
- Frylight (F)
- Beat the eggs, adding whichever optional ingredients you like (I use salt, pepper, mixed herbs and a pinch of paprika for savoury, or a little sweetner, and a pinch each of nutmeg and cinnamon for sweet).
- Dunk the bread in the egg mixture, making sure to coat it entirely and let it all soak in a little.
- Liberally spray a frying pan with Frylight, then fry the eggy bread till golden and cooked through (should take a few minutes each side).
I serve my savoury French toast with sauteed mushrooms, and my sweet French toast with mixed berries, just to make sure I have a little bit of speed food on my plate with it. Absolutely delicious, and ready in a jiffy!