Is there anything that screams “Christmas” any louder than a sweet mince pie? Buttery, crumbly pastry cases, filled with oozing sweet mince is incredibly nice, but also incredibly naughty, and a regular mince pie can be around 12 syns – even the mini ones come in at around 5 syns apiece!
So, what if you could have a lovely little sweet mince morsel that was only 2 syns?
Here it is!
These Mini Xmas Parcels are small, but give you that same mince pie hit that will let your taste buds know it’s Christmas!
F = Free food (eat as much as you like)
S = Speed food (these should make up at least a third of your meal)
P = Protein free food (eat as much of these as you like!)
HEa = Healthy Extra A (a daily allowance of dairy produce)
HEb = Healthy Extra B (a daily allowance of a product with fibre)
# = a number denotes roughly how many syns are in foods used
- Filo pasty (6 syns per 45g sheet)
- 1 jar sweet mincemeat (1 syn per half tbsp)
- 1 egg (P)
- Heat the oven to 180C.
- Cut your sheets of filo pastry into 12 equal-sized rectangles.
- For each parcel, take two rectangles of filo pastry, and lie them crosswise across each other.
- Drop half a tablespoon of sweet mincemeat into the centre of each, and gather the edges up, pinching them together to make little parcels.
- Brush each parcel with a little beaten egg.
- Line your baking trays with baking parchment or grease proof paper, and gently place the parcels on them, giving each parcel a little space (I put half a dozen on each of my trays, as they’re quite small).
- Pop them in the oven for 10-15 minutes (mine go in for 12 minutes), till the pastry is golden.
- Cool them on the trays for a few minutes before removing them to a wire rack to finish cooling.
- When they’re cooled completely, keep them in an air-tight container.
If you’re feeling really decadent, nobody is going to tell you that you can’t dust a little icing sugar over the top when serving them. And don’t forget to leave on or two out for Santa Clause on Christmas Eve – he’s watching his figure too, so he’ll appreciate the effort!
And so, with that, I’ll wish you all the very best of the festive season. Have a slim-tastic Christmas, everyone!